How will you get around after an OWI and license suspension?

On Behalf of | Nov 24, 2020 | Owi

In the state of Wisconsin, operating while intoxicated refers to driving with a blood alcohol concentration level of .08% or higher. 

If law enforcement stops you on suspicion of OWI, you stand to lose your driving privileges. What happens next? How will you get around? 

Facing charges 

Like most people, you likely depend on your vehicle to get to school or to work, to medical and dental offices, the grocery store and many other destinations. However, if the police stop you for OWI, the resulting series of events can leave you feeling overwhelmed. One of those events is the loss of your driving privileges. 

An IID to drive again 

If your BAC is .15% or higher or if you refuse to take a chemical test, the court will order you to have an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle. You must breathe into this device and pass the BAC test in order for your vehicle to start. Obviously, this is a less than ideal situation, but it is one way for you to be able to drive again. 

License reinstatement 

You may at least be able to drive to work if you qualify for an occupational license. Otherwise, reinstatement of your driving privileges can occur if you meet the requirements. You must first complete the terms of your license suspension and IID installation, if applicable. You must show proof of an auto insurance policy and pay the reinstatement fees. In short, while losing your driver’s license can be a problematic outcome of an OWI charge, there are options for helping you get behind the wheel again. 

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network
Krische & Moertel | Trial Attorneys, LLC.